CITY & COUNTY
News from Cibolo, Live Oak, Universal City & Guadalupe County
Live Oak voters pass $18 million bond, seven city propositions
Cities canvass votes, confirm council members CIBOLO, UNIVERSAL CITY During the May 17 meeting, Universal City City Council canvassed May 7 election results. Universal City Mayor John Williams kept his position after receiving 60.41% of votes, with Adam E. Salyer getting the remaining 39.59%. For three council seats, Steven R. Buck took the most votes at 23.63%. Incumbent Paul Najarian won 21.56%, and Phil Vaughan had 21%. Incumbent Beverly Volle won 20.5% of votes, and Richard K. Edwards won 13.31% of votes. Buck, Najarian and Vaughan, the top vote-getters out of five candidates, were sworn in as council members.
VOTES CANVASSED, COUNCIL SWORN IN Cibolo and Universal City swore in council members after canvassing the votes.
Universal City City Council
Steven R. Buck 23.63% Paul Najarian* 21.56%
Phil Vaughan 21% Beverly Volle* 20.5% Richard K. Edwards 13.31%
LIVE OAK During the May 7 election, the $18 million bond for roads, streets and sidewalks in the city of Live Oak passed with 66.88% of votes. Approval of the bond will raise the interest and sinking tax rate an estimated $0.06 for a total of $0.1604 per $100 valuation. According to Live Oak staff, by 2024, debt payments for the bond passed in 2014 will be completed, resulting in the tax rate decreasing. The rate is expected to go below $0.10 again by 2031. With bond approval, the city could issue the first debt within three months. Seven city charter propositions also passed with majority votes, including Propositions D and F,
which removed provisions that allow the mayor to delay the adop- tion of an ordinance or resolution passed by the council, and pro- vides for the appointment, suspen- sion or removal of the municipal court judge, respectively. $18M BOND APPROVED Live Oak residents voted to approve bond, which will fix streets and sidewalks but increase taxes. $18 MILLION
Cibolo City Council District 2
Victor M. Osorio II 51.9%
Randy Roberts 48.1%
In Cibolo, Victor M. Osorio II took the majority of votes for City Council District 2 with 82 votes, or 51.9%, over Randy Roberts’ 76 votes, or 48.1%. Osorio was sworn in May 24, succeeding Steve Quinn, who resigned in September. SOURCES: BEXAR AND GUADALUPE COUNTIES/ COMMUNITY IMPACT NEWSPAPER
15 street/sidewalk projects $0.06 tax rate increase per $100 valuation
SOURCE: CITY OF LIVE OAK/ COMMUNITY IMPACT NEWSPAPER
Universal City City Council approves road improvements
ADDING MEDIANS Universal City will be adding raised medians along Pat Booker Road, which will add to the appearance of the area and help with traffic control.
UNIVERSAL CITY City Council on May 17 held the second reading and discussion for thoroughfare and roundabout improvements at Kitty Hawk Road. The project would be the first phase in providing connectivity from Kitty Hawk through an upcoming but yet-to-be defined commercial development to Loop 1604, according to Universal City Economic Development Corp. staff. A resolution estimated the cost at $349,965. During a May 3 meeting, City Manager Kim Turner said city staff analyzed traffic data for the thoroughfare. Turner said she believes the city is prepared for all levels of traffic in that area. “We ran about four different scenarios,” Turner said. “We ran what [traffic] would be if it was all
hospitals, which has a lot of traffic, or what it would be if it was all multifamily or what it would be if it was mixed-use. Regardless of what happens out there, we are going to have a huge traffic increase.” Council also discussed a resolution for $246,960 that would pay for a right-turn lane from Pat Booker Road to the northbound Loop 1604 frontage road. The funds would also pay for raised medians on Pat Booker between Loop 1604 and Athenian Drive as well as between National and Byrd boulevards, and Byrd and Aviation boulevards. The project for raised medians includes pedes- trian and sidewalk improvements on the south side of Pat Booker Road, which is in line with the Aviation District Master Plan passed in 2020.
Projects listed under the two resolutions would be funded through the sales tax revenue bond, which the UCEDC passed in December 2020. Final readings will be held at a future meeting.
COMMUNITY IMPACT NEWSPAPER • COMMUNITYIMPACT.COM
Powered by FlippingBook