Franklin - Brentwood Edition - January 2021

TRANSPORTATION

Updates on key transportation stories

2 0 2 1 S P E C I A L E D I T I O N

OTHER PROJECTS TO FOLLOW IN 2021

TOP TRANSPORTATION PROJECT TO WATCH IN 2021

Cities partner forMcEwen Drive extension

Project partnership The cities of Franklin and Brentwood approved an agreement in December to begin work on an extension of McEwen Drive, which serves as a boundary between the two cities in some areas. Project costs will be split between the cities. A new timeline for the project has not been determined.

MACK C. HATCHER PKWY.

HARPETH RIVER

96

PARADE DR.

N

BY WENDY STURGES

Mack C. Hatcher Parkway northwest extension Phase 1 of the Mack C. Hatcher Parkway northwest extension is on track to open in late 2021, according to the Tennessee Department of Transportation. The project will extend the roadway from Hillsboro Road to Del Rio Pike. Phase 1 of the roadway will create a two-lane road with a bridge over the Harpeth River. Timeline: 2019-November 2021 Cost: $45.1 million Funding sources: TDOT, city of Franklin

BRENTWOOD

The process to revive a long- planned project to extend McEwen Drive has begun following a new agreement between the cities of Franklin and Brentwood. In December, both cities approved resolutions to agree on boundary lines related to the McEwen Drive Phase 5 extension, which would extend the roadway fromWilson Pike to the Franklin-Brentwood city limits, near Clovercroft Creek. According to Brentwood City Manager Kirk Bednar, the original agreement between Franklin and Brentwood goes back to 2007, when both cities agreed to adjust the city boundary lines to include some land tracts in the city of Brentwood. Bednar said in the original agree- ment, the cities decided future developers would pay for the roadway as the land area was developed; how- ever, that plan did not come to pass. “Shortly after that, the recession hit, [and] no development occurred,” he said. “When development did nally come back in 2012-13, the developers in that area sued the city of Brentwood because they had development plans coming forward, … and essentially, the courts decided that those developers could not be made responsible for building an arterial road that was going to serve

HERBERT DR.

FRANKLIN

CLOVERCROFT CREEK

Roadway features According to the city of Franklin, the roadway extension is ultimately set to include four lanes but will initially be constructed as a 2-lane road. The

V E

MAP NOT TO SCALE N

road will also feature: • Curbs and gutters; • A multiuse trail; • Street lighting; and • Gas pipeline upgrades.

a much larger area than just their subdivision.” Since that time, Bednar said, the agreement had been amended, but the project itself was paused until both cities approved the new agreement in December. Bednar said the funding for the project will no longer be develop- ment-driven; rather, it will split between the two cities. Brentwood will pay 59.4%, and Franklin will pay the remaining 40.6%. The city of Brentwood is expected to contribute at least $10 million, although funding has not yet been nalized because gas line relocations still need to be conducted in the area, Bednar said. The city of Franklin is expected to manage the project. Bednar said each city will be responsible for acquiring any necessary right of way.

SOURCES: CITIES OF FRANKLIN AND BRENTWOODCOMMUNITY IMPACT NEWSPAPER

OWL CREEK

N

An additional project to extend the roadway beyond that point through the Tarragon subdivision will be a future city of Brentwood project. A timeline for that portion of the road has not been announced. Bednar said while construction will likely not begin for a few years, the agreement marks a rst step in the process. As of late 2020, work was set to begin on redesign work for the project, Bednar said. An engineering agreement for the project is set to be ready by February at the latest.

Sunset Road widening The city of Brentwood is working to widen a portion of Sunset Road— spanning from Owl Creek to Concord Road—from two to three lanes with a 10-foot multiuse trail on the west side of the roadway. Final paving is underway on the roadway as of late December; however, work is weather- dependent. Timeline: 2019-winter 2021 Cost: $8.9 million Funding source: city of Brentwood

NOW OPEN

Call to arrange a tour for you or your loved one! 625-398-0100

WE OFFER OUR PATIENTS: • In-center dialysis • Home dialysis • Yoga • Mindfulness training • Cooking demonstrations

Pure Life Renal of Cool Springs is a brand new dialysis facility that is now open and accepting patients.

1648 Westgate Circle, Suite 100 in Brentwood, TN • www.plrenal.com

11

FRANKLIN  BRENTWOOD EDITION • JANUARY 2021

Powered by